Monday, October 31, 2005

Google Reader

If you haven't tried Google Reader (GR) yet, you're missing out. If you're a non-geek, you've probably never heard of a "News Aggregator," which is essentially what GR is. So let me break it down for you.

Do you have an interest? Someone is blogging about it. I don't care what it is. I was showing GR to my sister-in-law a while back and she said "try 'Childbirth Education'" ... how obscure can you get?
There were hundreds of blogs. The top few that we looked at were excellent. There are entire communities devoted to the topic, as well as related topics (preganancy health, child rearing, how to pick a babysitter, etc). It's crazy.
I haven't ventured far from the nerd-ville of gadgets and info-centric news sources, so I never knew there was such diversity out there. Such depth.

Each one of these blogs we could subscribe to. Have all that knowledge in one place. No more hunting around, remembering sites, using bookmarks (I hate bookmarks, but that's another post), etc. It's all just there.

My point: Reader is for more than just nerds. I didn't know it, but it's true. You can subscribe to blogs, news sources, photo albums (Flickr comes to mind, obviously), and more. Any website that provides a "feed" (sometimes called RSS or ATOM), you're set.
The whole deal with feeds is still crazy young, its gonna blow up soon. Trust me, you want to be there.

No comments: