Monday, October 31, 2005

organization and chores

So I've reached this point where I feel like I get overwhelmed at work from time to time. I go from Moments of Amazing Productivity (coding for a few hours straight through) to Eons of Churn (start one thing, get distracted, start something else, get nothing done).

Now, this is probably a very common thing to happen, especially to someone early-on in their career, like me (I consider this my first "real job"). But what really bothers me is that it makes me think I'm inheriting my Dad's most annoying habit: never finishing what he started.

Growing up in a Scottish household, you do chores. Outside. Rain or shine.
[to my siblings reading this: yes, I did chores too. Just because you weren't there, doesn't mean it didn't happen. And enough with the Pop-Tarts jabs. It's not my fault they loved me most.] [Just kidding about loved thing] [maybe]
When I would help my Dad outside, the standard routine was:
1) Start two-man Job.
2) Make some progress.
3) Dad sees something else broken/dirty/misplaced. Leaves without saying anything.
4) Dad pulls me away from job before I can finish to start other job.
...
5) Darkness Falls
6) 23 Jobs started, none finished.
7) Repeat tomorrow, Dad gets mad about "getting nothing done"

So maybe I'm just sensitive about doing chores.

But my point is, I don't like it when I find myself doing the same thing.

If I want to "go somewhere," especially in this company, I've got to Get Things Done (no, I haven't read the book, but I dig the concepts).

2 comments:

mcTrixxx said...

yes, it's genetic. give up now.

Jaim-lic said...

We know you did chores (you may be favorite... but dad is STILL Scottish....) thats what makes it so fun to bug you about this. Our twisted way to say we love you