Saturday, October 29, 2005

sitting in the airport

Friday, October 28, 2005 8:27:45 PM
Andria and I are waiting for a plane in OAK airport. The plane is 45 minutes late and I'm playing with Hog Bay Notebook, so I've decided to start doing blog drafts in here. How organized of me.

So, I'm an idiot. I forgot that you can't bring sharp things onto the airplane. I packed:
1) Some little scissors (because I'm trying to keep this attempt-at-a goatee slightly well-trimmed).
2) The leatherman from our wedding (with my name engraved on it).

They said I could either "lose" my stuff or check in my bag. Normally it would be no big deal, but the leatherman was kinda special and we were like an hour early. I was a little pissed at myself, but a really kind woman working for the airport walked me to the desk, checked in my bag (past the lines) and then got me through security (past the giant lines). I lost, maybe, 10 minutes. Awesome. Go Oakland Airport (or at least that one worker).

So, what was the point of this story? Oh, right: That I'm an idiot. "That's not so bad, Steve," you might say. The idiot part was that I left my wallet and cellphone in my bag, which was now checked in. No way to tell Andria's parents that the plane was 45 minutes late or call them when we landed. No way to buy dinner.

Good thing Andria was loaded (she had pizza for us both by the time I made it to the gate). Ain't she grand.

No comments: